April 28, 2014

Photo by Apeda Studio, New York, 1925 or 1927

I'd originally thought this session was from 1925, but I am now leaning towards 1927. Chaplin was in New York during both years (he was also there in 1923 but I don't think these photos date back that far). The Chaplin archive website gives them a date of 1922 but I think that's incorrect as well. I can't find where photos from this session appear in magazines or newspaper articles any earlier than 1927. I also have a publicity photo for The Circus with a photo from this session which makes me think the later date is correct, although Chaplin was not against using old photos for publicity.


7 comments:

  1. I tend to agree, judging by the greyness of hair.
    Phil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To me his hair looks similar to what it did in the Nikolas Muray photos which were also taken in 1927. It's almost styled the same way.

      Delete
  2. That's a BEAUTIFUL portrait for any year!
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As the Chaplin archive was mentioned, I found this photo there put to the Keystone section, but I can't guess where it comes from. I can't remember any kinds of Keystone film like this, but the actors look like Keystone stars. Doesn't someone know something about it?
    The link: http://photo.charliechaplin.com/images/9369-Keystone-26
    Domi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That photo is actually from the abandoned 1921 film "The Plumbers." Mack Swain is on the left.

      Delete
  4. The working title was "Come Seven". It was abandoned when CC went to Europe and became "Pay Day" when he returned.

    Phil

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the answers! I have never heard about this film before. Do you know if there are existing shots of it or only pictures?
    Domi

    ReplyDelete